Saturday, September 16, 2006

Volcanos, Caches and Playgrounds

I am sitting here watching "Supervolcano" on the Discovery Channel. From time to time, they do a special about some catastrophic weather event. This one is about a volcano with a vent 60x90 kilometers wide that erupts for days on end. As I watch, a couple thoughts are going through my mind. First of all, it feels more like something that would come out of Hollywood than something scientists would take serious (but a brief Google search shows that scientists actually are talking about this). My second thought that all of these "super-storms" that the Discovery Channel keeps saying "could happen" sounds like what is described in the book of Revelation. Hmmm.

Brooke is not feeling well and is already in bed (9:00 PM) and Amanda is getting ready to go to bed. Once she is in bed, I've got to make a run to Walgreens to buy some temporary cement for my crown. This is the THIRD TIME my front tooth crown has come loose since July. I sure hope my dentist has something new up his sleeve, 'cause this "put cement on it and pop it back into place" is not working. Very frustrating!

Our church held our annual Ladies' Retreat held in Waxahachie this year. I drove the bus on Friday to drop the ladies off and picked them up today. Amanda loves to ride the bus, so she was glad to go with me both times. I did a "caches along a route" option at geocaching .com web site and found that there were a handful of caches within less than half a mile of our route, so Amanda and I left a little early to grab a couple of these on the way. We added maybe 10 extra miles to the trip, but we had fun. Of course, we looked a little conspicuous in our large, yellow and brown "cachemobile".


GeoPunkin took this picture of me with one of the caches we found.


This was a virtual cache in downtown Waxahachie, the Rogers street bridge. You can click on the picture to enlarge it and read the plaque yourself.




When we dropped off the ladies at the conference center on Friday, Amanda saw this playground and wanted to play. We could not stay on Friday night, so today we left the house in time to give Amanda some time to play.

No comments: