Sunday, September 10, 2006

This Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words...

...and at least 5 hours of my time! But you can't appreciate either if I don't share the story with you. For Jason's sake, I will try to keep it short.

This week, I was contacted by a geocacher in Oklahoma asking me if I wanted to do a multi-state, multi-cache with him. What this means is, he finds a cache in Lawton, OK that has coordinates for a cache in Ft. Worth. He e-mails me the coordinates, I find the cache which, in turn, has coordinates for another cache in Lawton. I send those coordinates to him and he logs the find for both of us.

Since Friday is our day off, and since Brooke went with Amanda and I on Amanda's 200th cache, I asked Brooke if she would go with me to Ft. Worth while I found this one cache. She agreed, so I got everything ready. We took the laptop with GPS directions to get there, and I "just happened" to have loaded all of the other caches in the area onto the map as well for Brooke to see. When she saw other caches so close to the original cache we set out to find, she agreed to find those as well. Short version...seven caches later Brooke said she enjoyed spending the time with me, asked me to register her finds under her own geocaching name (Punkin's Momma) and said she would cache with me again (although not as prolifically as GeoPunkin and I). When she said that, I was very disappointed that I had not brought my camera to capture the moment, but then I remembered Brooke's phone had a camera, so I got this picture.

And that's where the story began. I got home and tried to e-mail the picture to my e-mail account so I could post it here. Got an error message on the phone. Called Sprint PCS. Needed security code for phone to fix problem. Oops, STUPID me changed the code several months ago, never wrote it down and forgot it. Nearly and hour on the phone with Sprint trying to work around this problem. No luck. Trip to Sprint store to let them work on phone. That store doesn't actually work on the phones, they just sell them. Spend another 45 minutes trying lock codes I might have used. Go to other store. Wait for them to try and fix problem. No luck. Next day, travel to another Sprint store to let them try. They only work on Nextel phones...try other store. Go to other store. They finally find unlock for me. (Immediately change lock code to something we will remember!). Take phone back home. Call tech support to fix problem now that I have security code. Talk to lady who, although very nice, had NO IDEA what she is talking about. Hang up and try what she suggested. Call Sprint again. Get a person who knows what they are doing...reset phone...get photo! At least 5 hours invested for this one photo. Yes, it was worth it.

And another good thing came of this. I was eligible for a $150 rebate from Sprint to upgrade my phone. During all of my trips to the various Sprint stores in the area, I found out that this rebate is now instant rather than the mail-in rebate they used to offer. So, I upgraded my phone and got a new, nicer phone for free. Yea!

I didn't do a word count to see if this was actually a thousand words. I don't think it was, but for fear of losing Jason if I write any more, I'm gonna end the story here. (If you don't know, Jason is one of my younger, more busy friends who does not like long blog postings. Since he's a faithful reader I try to keep my postings shorter, and if that doesn't work, I try to harass him. The latter is much easier!)

- Rob

No comments: