Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day Weekend Together As A Family

Our family enjoyed the three day weekend. After school on Friday we just chilled and hung out at the house. Sam and Mitzi came to visit for the weekend while Stan and Kay visited Nacadocious. Amanda always loves having more dogs at the house and our dogs see Sam and Mitzi so often they're like cousins.


Interesting note about the above photograph. I remember watching one particular episode of Tarzan as a kid where visitors to the jungle were terrorizing the natives by taking their picture. They told the natives that their souls were being captured when their picture was taken. These bad people would show the pictures to the natives and the natives were convinced. (I'm not sure how Tarzan helped solve this travesty, but I'm sure he did, somehow). Anyway, I thought of this story right after this picture was taken because Mitzi hopped out of my lap as soon as the flash went off. Actually, she started squirming and wanted down as soon as she saw the camera, but I made her stay for the picture. For some reason, the dog is petrified of having her picture taken. I remember the first time she came over for a visit, I traumatized her trying to take some video of her and Sam with our dogs. Near as I can tell, Mitzi somehow came from Tarzan's jungle where she belonged to this tribe. It must have scared Mitzi so bad that she took off for America before Tarzan could tell the people they were in no danger of losing their souls to the people with the cameras. We feel sorry for Mitzi but love her in spite of her "issues" with cameras.

Saturday morning, Brooke went to her fantasy football draft while Amanda and I set out to find nine geocaches...enough to get her to 200. We had only found seven when Brooke called and said her draft was finished. Brooke rode with us while we grabbed the last two and Amanda found #200.


Sunday we went to church, took a nap (everybody except Amanda), watched America's Funniest Home Videos and spent some time with our friends the Hennings (who stopped by to print their Blockbuster coupon!). Everybody went to bed and I stayed up to watch one of my favorite movies, Saving Private Ryan. I like war movies in general, and I am especially touched movies about WW II. I can't help but think that something like that (the way our nation pulled together and sacrificed) would never happen today. I watch stories about soldiers who went into a battles they knew would probably cost them their lives, but they went anyway because that's what it took to serve your country and defeat the enemy. I am in awe of the WW II generation. And then at the end of this movie, Private Ryan asks himself, "Was I a good man?" "Did I do something good with my life after the sacrifices that were made for me?" (Wow, some pretty good Christian parallels there.) It doesn't sound very macho to watch one of these violent war movies and then cry at the end, but I always do. (Of course, it's always late and I'm the only one in the room, so that helps). But when I think about the price that was paid for my freedom, I cannot help but be moved. These guys not only gave up their lives, but they also gave up their families and their families gave them up as well, for this great cause. I always say a prayer thanking God for all of our soldiers (from all wars) who gave their lives to that I might enjoy the freedoms this country offers. And I always pray for their surviving family members. And then I pray for our forces serving today and their families. And for some reason, I seem to enjoy putting myself through all this.

This morning, Amanda woke up around 8:30am and Brooke was kind enough to get up with her since I had been in bed just 5 hours after the movie. Brooke did a little housework, I helped clean the kitchen, Brooke ran to the store, I read, we did some homework with Amanda and then my parents came over for dinner. We had grilled chicken, three bean salad my Mom brought and company potatoes (which I LOVE but Brooke makes only when we have company). We just hung out and talked after dinner. Everybody is now gone and in bed. I'm gonna finish blogging, read a little bit more and try to psyche myself up to get up at 5:30am for some racquetball in the morning.

So tomorrow it's back to school and back to work. It was nice to have a Labor Day weekend together as a family.

- Rob

No comments: