Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pastor's Column for January 20


I really enjoy the song Open Up The Sky because the lyrics capture a prayer of my heart.
.
Open up the sky
Fall down like rain
We don't want blessings 
We want you 
Open up the sky
Fall down like fire
We don't want anything but you 
.
I had a friend tell me, "I don’t like to sing that part, 'We don’t want blessings'”. I was trying to think of a way to explain what the song captures for me, and I came across this quote by Daniel Henderson in the book Transforming Prayer: Worship-based prayer seeks the face of God before the hand of God. God’s face is the essence of who He is. God’s hand is the blessing of what He does. God’s face represents His person and presence. God’s hand expresses His provision for needs in our lives. I have learned that if all we ever do is seek God’s hand, we may miss His face; but if we seek His face, He will be glad to open His hand and satisfy the deepest desires of our hearts.

Jesus taught us that we should ask the Father for what we need, but it’s good to remember that we need the Father first...and then His blessings. Psalm 27:8 - My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek.
Blessings, Pastor Rob

No comments: