Friday, November 03, 2006

A Strange Feeling

So I mentioned a while back ago that I was trying out Unbutu, a Linux desktop operating system. I was looking for a computer that I could install the operating system on and try it out. Well, I have a computer a friend asked me to look at, but I am waiting for them to get me the original software before I can fix it, and they are using another system. So I've installed Ubuntu and trying to learn a little about Linux.

I got the new operating system installed and running. One of the first things I did was go online, and the browser they had installed was Firefox. Since I knew a newer version was available, I downloaded it and tried to install it. Two hours and MUCH Google-ing later, I still could not figure out how to install the file I had downloaded. I finally found an IRC chat channel where I could get help (for the uninitiated, IRC chat is similar to chat rooms where people gather to discuss various topics). I could not find anybody to help me with my Linux issues, but they did point me to a web page that helped me.

So now I've downloaded and installed two updates. I am still a major newbie, but I feel like I learned a few things tonight. But it was a strange feeling..I am the person most of my friends turn to when they have computer questions because I'm the computer geek. I guess Linux is the domain of the uber-geek!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. -BE