Thursday, November 23, 2006

Now THAT Was a Lot of Fun

In real life, it was the front tire on the driver's side.

Around 6:30pm tonight, we were just finishing up a Little Ceasar's pizza when Brooke noticed lights in the little half driveway at the other end of our front yard. We looked out the window and a lady was on the phone. I went out to see if everything was OK or if she needed help.

Well, she had a blowout and did need help. When I say blowout, that's what I mean. The tire had two HUGE holes on the whitewall area. The lady had nobody to help her, so I volunteered to change the tire. Wow...didn't realize what a big job that was going to be. For Jason's sake, I'll give you the SHORT version.
  • The car was on a downhill slant toward the driver's side
  • I looked hard to find a place on the frame of the SUV to place the jack. I found a spot I thought would work and jacked it up as far as I could. Not high enough.
  • Put 2x4 under jack so it would jack up higher. Still not high enough to put spare on.
  • Found out place I had put the jack was NOT a part off the frame. Bent up some stuff under there, but fortunately nothing of importance.
  • Tried to jack it up from the front. This time, the jack slipped and I thought the still-raised jack was going to ram through something as the truck came back to the ground.
  • Lady called Roadside Assistance on her cell (she already pays monthly for the service, so it would be a "free" visit). She was told another hour wait.
  • Moved jack to the front of the car. Still not high enough.
  • Moved jack and tried again. Finally, it looked high enough to get the old tire off and the full-size spare on.
  • OH....MY....GOODNESS. Thought I was going to throw out my back trying to loosen those lug nuts. I have NEVER seen anything tightened so tight. We were both praying I could break them loose. Finally did.
  • Tire off, new tire on, vehicle back on ground. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention I was praying the whole time that the thing would not fall off the jack crushing me and hurting the SUV.
  • Hour and fifteen minutes later the {thankful} lady was on her way home.
Now THAT was a lot of fun!

No comments: