Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Good Show

Here I am, sitting at my computer, listening to smooth jazz on Sky.fm while a french vanilla candle burns in my office. That is how I like to relax (either sitting at the computer or reading a good book). I am on vacation for a week, and this is what I pictured myself doing, so I am happy. It happens to be about four and a half hours later than I expected to be doing this, but that's OK.

A group from the church made plans to see The Rockettes tonight at Nokia Theatre. I never had a desire to go, but Brooke was wanting to go. At one point, she asked for tickets for her birthday, but we worked out something else. But then somebody at church offered us tickets (all three of us). Brooke explained I was not too interested, but she and Amanda would love to go. So I intended to stay home by myself tonight with a candle burning and smooth jazz in the background. That changed when I had to fill in as bus driver last minute.

So I went to see The Rockettes with Brooke, Amanda and about 13 other people from church, and I've got to tell you, it was a good show. I really enjoyed the "Parade of the Wooden Soldiers". But since I wasn't that excited about the program when I first got there, my original plan was to head out during the last scene and pull the bus around to pick up everybody at the front doors after the show was over.

That was before I saw what Scene 12 was going to be. It was called 'The Living Nativity and was described in the stagebill like this: "The presentation of 'The Living Nativity' upholds a tradition begun by St. Francis of Assisi in 1223, and has been a revered part of the Radio City Christmas Spectacular since 1933." Wow, what looked to be a pretty outspoken, public presentation of the true meaning of Christmas...how could I miss that? And WOW, it was impressive! It was definitely my favorite scene of the night and it was incredible to sit there and hear Scripture read and the real Christmas story presented. There was a lot of applause afterwards. It made thankful that not all of America has become so open-minded that their brains have fallen out. That once scene alone made the whole night worth the trip.

It was a good show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the Rockettes are bringing a little bit of the Big Apple to Texas. I bet you guys didn't know that we even celebrate Christmas up here (it's relentless). I've lived in New York for over 30 years and I've never been to Radio City. Or the Statue of Liberty either. Glad you enjoyed the show.