Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Can You See The Look In His Eyes?

The resolution on this picture is not real high so I don't know if you can see the look in this guy's eyes, but it ain't friendly. I went goecaching by myself today trying to get the last 14 I need to reach 300 finds before Christmas. I found six of those today, and this park is where I was looking for number seven. I did not find the cache, but I thought I'd at least take a picture since the area was pretty. I saw some ducks and then I saw these geese. The ducks were skiddish and, since I only had my low-resolution camera phone to take pictures with, I opted for the geese figuring I could get closer to them for a picture. Well, this guy here didn't mind getting close! As a matter of fact, as soon as he saw me walking his way, he dropped his head low to the ground and charged me. Having seen a number of scared kids "attacked" by geese in the past, I knew I had to stand my ground or else risk being nipped.

I think this guy was genuinely surprised that I did not take off running. He stopped short and told me what he thought of me (at least that's what it sounded like...he did not sound happy). I took a picture and then turned to go home. As soon as I turned my back, this guy dropped his head and came running at me again. I quickly turned back to face him and he halted the charge. We did this a few more times, but each time it seemed he was getting closer. I tried walking backwards to leave, but that, too, emboldened him. Finally I was close enough to take this picture, and after that, I walked toward him until he got in the water so that I could retreat without risking a nip in the backside.

So I was six for seven today and am now just eight caches away from the 300 mark. I told GeoPunkin about this one and asked for her help, so on Wednesday we are taking bread for the ducks (NOT the geese) and will hunt for this one again and feed the ducks.

No comments: