Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A Guy I Really Admire

This is a picture of Dirk Wood, his wife Elizabeth and their daughter Abigail. I don't even begin to know how to describe Dirk if you've never met him.

Dirk is a fireball for God who loves the Lord, loves His Word, loves people and loves telling people about Jesus. When I first met Dirk, I guess I felt convicted all the time because I couldn't share Jesus like he did. He is the boldest, craziest and most creative witness for the Lord I have ever met. I've since come to accept the fact that God didn't make me like Dirk Wood and doesn't expect me to be like him, but the challenge he leaves in my heart in the area of witnessing is certainly of God.

Dirk is a missionary currently serving in South Africa. I just finished reading his July newsletter and wanted to share it with you. Check it out...you'll get a hint of what Dirk is like and I think you'll be challenged in your witnessing for the Lord, too.

And if are reading this post and are not a Christian, go ahead and read the newsletter and ask yourself, "What {or who} could radically change a person and so influence them to do what this guy does?"

I admire Dirk. He's taken flak even in Christian circles for his approach(es) to evangelism, but I doubt anybody who has ever attacked him has been anywhere near as bold as Dirk is for Christ. One bummer though...lots of things in this life I can say, "When I get to heaven, I'll be able to do that (like dance with rhythm!)." I don't think I can say, "When I get to heaven, I'll be able to witness as creatively as Dirk does"!

Instead, I'll just say I'm glad God has put us together as His family and Dirk is my brother. I think he's cool and he certainly challenges me in my witness for the Lord and love for His Word.

God bless you, Dirk. Saying a prayer for you today. Thank you for not being ashamed to be who God created you to be!

- Rob

No comments: