Saturday, August 04, 2007

I Did it Again

I was watching X Games on TV tonight and flipped to the channel guide. I saw that We Were Soldiers was on, so I started to watch it. I bawl like a baby several times throughout the movie, but there is something that draws me to it every time. I got tired of waiting through commercials, so I got my DVD out and watched the whole thing from the beginning.

I blogged about this movie last year, so I won't repeat all of that again, but I am always so moved by this movie that I feel I have to do something to let out what I feel inside. No movie moves me as deeply as this one...men dying for our great country while wives and small children are at home having to "go on with life" after receiving the news that their husbands/fathers have been killed in the line of duty. The movie is WAY too intense for my 8 year old daughter, but some day we will sit down, watch it together and cry together. When she is mature enough, I want her to understand the tremendous sacrifice so many have given for our great nation.

Two lines from the movie that hit me hard tonight. One, spoken by Mel Gibson who was the Lt. Colonel in charge of the operation the movie is about. He said, "I will never forgive myself" When asked why, he said, "because my men died and I did not." I cannot imagine that kind of responsibility. Had it not been for the actions of this Lt. Colonel, all of the men would have died, but that didn't change how he felt.

The other line (that set me off crying once again) was when he finally got to come home, he was hugging his wife and she called to the children, "Kids, come down{stairs}. Your Daddy is home." How many times had his wife stopped herself from thinking about that moment out of fear that the day would never come?

I'll never be able to watch that movie without being moved to tears...and I don't want to. God help America if we can ever sit and see the story of such great sacrifice and not be moved...and not thank Him for this great nation and for the heroes who gave their lives in sacrifice. I say again, that you God for their sacrifice, that you to those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice (both the soldiers and their families), and thank you to the men and women of our armed forces serving today. God bless you, and may God continue to bless our great nation.

No comments: