Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Great Start on Vacation

Our day began 12 hours ago when we rolled over and hit the snooze alarm for the first time. Tomorrow is technically the last day of school for Amanda, but we started our vacation today. My good friend Stan owns a nice 5th wheel camper and has been kind enough to let us borrow it, so we are spending our Memorial Day weekend (Thursday night-Tuesday lunch) at Cedar Hill State Park. School got out at 1:45pm today, so we picked up Amanda, finished packing up the camper and headed out.

I have pulled trailers before, but never a 5th wheel and never something quite this big (approx. 30 feet). I have a CDL to drive the church bus and I have driven school busses before, so I was a bit surprised how different it was driving with the camper. Stan took me out before we left today and gave me some driving instructions and let me practice backing up and parking.

As we left, it started sprinkling but then it quit by the time we got to the State Park (about 25 minutes from our house). I'm glad we camp to the Park today because there was only one other person checking in when we got here. We checked in, drove to our spot, I backed in (that is I backed in, pulled up, backed in, pulled up, backed in, pulled up and finally got it right), got the camper leveled and had just hooked up the water and electricity when it began to rain. I finished up just in the nick of time. It is wonderful to "camp" with AC and no worries about rain!

Brooke cooked us macaroni and cheese and BBQ hotdogs for dinner (sounds like a good camping meal, doesn't it!). We then made a quick run down the road to Racetrac to get some ice and a large Diet Coke. Amanda is coloring, Brooke is reading, I'm blogging (well, keeping a record to post to my blog when I get back), the dogs are resting peacefully and the rain is pitter-pattering on the camper. Nothing to do but read and chill out (and maybe watch a DVD movie later). A great start on vacation!

No comments: