Monday, April 03, 2006

Part of the Family

Today was an eventful day. After crying for 30 minutes last night, it seemed Amanda was ready to take Grumpy O'Mally the turtle back to his home today. That was before she cried all the way to school, too. When Amanda was born, somebody told me that little girls could wrap their daddy around their little finger...and I guess it's a little true. What Daddy can hear his little girl cry about the turtle who has become "like part of our family" and then make her say goodbye?

So this morning, I had to go to Home Depot to get some caulk for the church. I thought I'd take a 'few minutes' while I was there and pick up the needed supplies to build the 'herpatarium' in our back yard. A couple 4x8 sheets of some weather proof stuff and a couple cinder blocks. First "event" for the day...took much longer than expected to find suitable materials. Second "event"...I decided I would NOT spend $50 for a silly turtle cage and thought I could get away with $30. After a second trip to Home Depot tonight, the total ended up being $48.00!

At lunch, I took the car by the Saturn dealership. I had my car inspected in February and it passed. I just got my new registration sticker and put it on Saturday. When I did that, I noticed that my inspection sticker had expired which was odd since I just had it inspected last month. I called Saturn and they told me to bring the car in and they would fix the problem. Well, "event" 3 was a good one for Saturn...they had not made the mistake, I did. You see, last year the state of Texas made their INSPECTION stickers look like a Texas flag. This year, they made the REGISTRATION sticker look like a Texas flag. So, when I put my new Texas flag REGISTRATION sticker on this past Saturday, I peeled off the other Texas flag sticker to put the new one on. You get the picture now...I peeled off the wrong sticker so I now have one expired registration sticker and one current registration sticker with no inspection sticker. The only solution? Pay $40 to have the car inspected again! Didn't have the money to do that today (since Home Depot now had my $40), so we're hoping not to have any problems until we can get the car inspected again.

After work, I started on the turtle house. Maybe I should call it a mansion...or at least a ranch or something like that (more on that tomorrow). Brooke set the VCR for 24, and we were looking forward to watching it at 9PM. "Event" 4...the VCR has no clock on it, so we did not remember it had not been adjusted for Daylight Savings Time. I'm not sure what show come on Fox 4 after 24, but whatever it is, that is what we recorded tonight!

So today I did not get my ToDo list finished, I spent $48 I did not plan on spending, I found out I've got to come up with another $40 and I did not watch 24. But, I did make my daughter very happy and Grumpy O'Mally is now part of the family.

- Rob

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Punkin knows that her daddy is her hero because he is mommy's hero as well. Love you

Anonymous said...

Rob, at least you didn't lose a full house in poker to 4 of a kind!! - you know who :)

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

okay...so you are rising from "grinch" status to a daddy hero....!

She'll remember that labor of love forever!

Dawn