Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Now I Get It!

When I was in college, I took just one literature course...the American Novel (I forgot what years were covered). It didn't take much time for me to figure out that many authors are very messed up people! I always read a book for the pleasure of reading it...I rarely considered the 'deeper meaning' of what the author was trying to say. I guess you could say I learned a lot in the class (learning how to search for the deeper meaning, the symbolism, etc), but I really did not enjoy reading those books because of all the searching.

But it all paid off today! I was reading Dictonary.com's word for the day and I saw a whole semester's worth of work pay off. Here's what I read: (taken from HERE)


Word of the Day for Monday April 17, 2006

choler \KOLL-ur; KOLE-ur\, noun:
Irritation of the passions; anger; wrath.

And at last he seems to have found his proper subject: one that genuinely engages his intellect, truly arouses his characteristic choler and fills him with zest.
-- "Black Humor': Could Be Funnier", New York Times, January 12, 1998

I found my choler rising.
-- Samuel Richardson, A Collection of the Moral and Instructive Sentiments... in the Histories of Pamela, Clarissa, and Sir Charles Grandison

You see it, right? The 'deeper meaning'...what the writers were 'really trying to say'?

choler = Chloe

Her name says it all!

No comments: