Monday, June 13, 2005

The Fam is Not Here

It is 12:45am and I should definitely be in bed. I just got back from seeing Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. Jason called and asked if I wanted to go see it with him and his dad (Pastor David), so I went. I really don't see how Star Wars has such a huge following. I mean, the movie was OK to me, but I'm in no hurry to own the series. I don't think I've watched any of the ones we do own more than once. I don't get many replies to my blog, but I may get some irate Star Wars fans writing me on this one.

But I'm up late because Brooke and Amanda are not here...and it stinks! Brooke's sister has been sick and in the hospital, so she wanted to go visit them this week and help take care of her sister's two kids while her sister is trying to recuperate and find out exactly what is going on. Saturday, I drove Brooke, Amanda, Boo and Sully to Vicksburg, MS where we met Brooke's parents. Brooke and Amanda headed to Alabama while Boo, Sully and I headed home. This was the first time we took the puppies on any kind of road trip, and they did great. They slept some, but mostly they just rotated one dog and then the other sitting on my lap on the way back. 13 hours in the car and nobody got car sick or had an "accident" in the car, so it was a good trip. I think I'll take them with me when I go back to pick up Brooke and Amanda.

Had my first meeting with our Life Group leaders tonight. I think things went well. I've had meetings with adult youth leaders before, but this was my first meeting with adults who actually work with adults. It was a good feeling... part of the transition between youth pastor and administrative pastor (working with adults now). We had a good turn out, some good discussions and I hope the short teaching I shared tonight will be something they can use in their groups. I'm a notes freak, so of course I gave them notes from what I was sharing. Unlike teenagers, they at least took their notes home. I have no idea if they will use anything I shared tonight, but at least I didn't have to go around the room and pick up notes to each other written on the page I had provided to takes teaching notes on (I think all youth pastors know how I feel). Anyway, it was a good night.

Well, I think it's safe to say I will NOT be getting up at 5:15am to play racquetball this morning. I usually play 3-4 times a week, but we'll have to see this week. With everybody gone, I'm very likely to come home from work, take a nap, eat dinner, work on my sermon for Sunday and then stay up late watching a movie (at home next time). When I do that, I'm not very motivated go get up early in the morning.

Having said that, I'm off to a well air-conditioned room for a good night's rest. I HATE it when my family is not here and I don't like sleeping in the bed by myself, but at least the dogs won't be laying on the 1/3 of the bed my wife allows me...they can sleep on her 2/3 of the bed tonight!

-Rob

No comments: