Saturday, April 10, 2010

A New Philosophy In Plant Management

As you can see from the first picture on the right, the hedges along the side of my house are totally out of control. And let the record show, I do NOT take responsibility for this. I have lived in this house for 12 years this month and EVERY time the hedges grow up like this (or even taller!), I cut them down to a manageable size. This is not an easy nor enjoyable task, mind you. You can't tell me, after 12 years, that these hedges do not know I don't want them all grown up like this.

So after years of no success cutting the hedges down to size and telling them how nice they look in their "smaller" size, I took a different approach today. I do NOT enjoy cutting these things and I have very little, if any natural skill. Looking at the rebellious bushes today, I said "OK, if that's the way you want to be, we can play it your way."

I started cutting and decided not to worry about how the bushes looked. I figured, if they are going to be rebellious and keep growing back even after they know I don't want them to, I am going to SHAME them into cooperation! It's not like I could help it much, but I pretty much just butchered them today. I figured, "Hey, if you're gonna be that way, I'm just gonna make you look UGLY whenever I have to cut you down".

I don't know if they could tell the difference this time over any other, but I felt better anyway. It's my new philosophy in plant management.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Because of my shoulder surgery which was due to be done in August of last year and I did not get done until March of this year I have had to hire someone to trim my hedges. Hopefully I will heal in time to keep them trimmed. I was trimming them about once or twice a month, been about eight months or so since they were last trimmed. ha. Ken