Monday, April 19, 2010

Great Bible Reading Plan

When I was in college, I discovered a Bible reading plan that would get me through the Bible in a year, and I gave it a try. I made it through that first year (despite my normal, busy college schedule), and I developed a habit. Each year, since then, I've followed a Through-The-Bible-In-A-Year plan. No, I have not completed it every single year, but all that reading has definitely instilled a hunger for God's Word in my heart.

At the end of last year, I was preparing to start through the Bible-In-A-Year when I ran across this Bible reading plan suggested by my friend Roy on his Facebook page. The plan is Professor Grand Horner's Bible reading system. You can read all about from this PDF file, but here's my "short" description.

Professor Horner divided the Bible up into 10 lists. To follow the plan, you read one chapter from each list every day (10 chapters a day). Because of the way the system is set up, you will never again read the same 10 chapters together in one day. The idea is to fill your mind/heart with the Word of God and to let the Scripture interpret itself. For instance, you may read a chapter in the book of Isaiah and then in your chapter from Matthew, you read where Jesus quoted and/or fulfilled that Scripture.

I was intrigued by the idea and so I took Professor Horner's challenge...I tried the plan for a month and I was hooked! Although I have missed a day here and there, this past weekend I read my 1,000th Bible chapter this year! I am so excited!! After several years of Bible-In-A-Year plans, I sometimes found myself reading just to complete the Bible in a year, but since beginning this plan, I just WANT to sit down and read God's Word.

There is nothing magical about this Bible reading plan over any other. And I am not bragging on myself. I am just thankful for a tool that has stoked my love for God's Word and is stuffing me FULL of His Word.

If you are a regular Bible reader, I encourage you to check out this plan. If it sounds like too much for you, that's fine...I just encourage you to find a plan and follow it. A Bible reading plan will help you be purposeful in your reading of God's Word, it can help keep you regular in your reading and it will give you a healthy, balanced diet of His Word.

How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. 10 I have tried hard to find you—don’t let me wander from your commands. 11 I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. 12 I praise you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. 13 I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. 14 I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. 15 I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. 16 I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word. (Psalm 119:9-16, NLT)

No comments: