Saturday, March 10, 2007

GPS Mapping Tools/Toys

I got a bracket for Christmas that allows me to put my GPS receiver on my bike, so now I track myself everywhere I ride. The GPS tells me where I am (small screen map), how fast I'm going, what direction I am traveling and how far I have traveled. Until today, I have not been able to find anything to convert the file created on my GPS into something I can put on a map and see where I've been. Today I found GPS Visualizer which I used to convert I file which I then uploaded to MTBGuru.com and created this map of my ride.


Since I just happened to have my GPS with me, and since my GPS just happened to have area geocaches loaded onto it, I did check to see if I was near any as I biked yesterday. I found one and then headed out to the one pictured above called Jeepers Creepers. This is a Google Earth screen shot of the pet cemetery I rode through to get to this cache (this area is the little "hook" at the bottom of the Google map drawn above). The white dot in the upper right corner of the screen shows where the geocache is, and the red line (the long, crazy, zig-zag red line) shows where all I went looking for it! The clue for the cache led me to believe it was in the pet cemetery, and there is a fence in the tree line. I did not think I would have to cross the fence to get to the cache, so I didn't spend much time on the other side of the fence. When I did cross the fence, the GPS kept taking me to the middle of a wide open field and I didn't think that was right, either. As you can see, I never found the cache, but I thought this crazy, zig-zag picture of my 20 minute hunt was funny. Now that I've seen the picture, I'll have to try for this one again, but I think I'm gonna post this picture on the cache's web site. I look like some drunk lost in the woods or something!

No comments: