Monday, June 12, 2006

You Can Watch It, But You Can't Like It...

I had to laugh when I read this (origianl story here, full story copied below):

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Phnom Penh patriarch Non Nget has told Cambodia's 40,000 Buddhist monks to remain passive while watching World Cup soccer games or be defrocked.

Non Nget said Monday monks should not watch the games in public, cheer or bet on matches as such actions were against Buddhism.

"It is very difficult to ban them because new technology means the games can be aired live and seen everywhere," he said. "They may watch, but must be calm."

"But if they make noise or cheer as they watch, they will lose their monkhoods," Non Nget told Reuters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of some church services I have been in over my years. "Listen. Learn. Be Quiet. Don't touch. And try not to have any fun!"

Funny stuff.