Wednesday, June 14, 2006

We Need God in America Again

That's the title to a song by Carman, but that's not exactly what I was referring to. When I read news stories about terrorists in Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever in the Middle East, America is referred to as an infidel, etc. The terrorists claim they are in a holy war and their god (Allah) wants to punish us. I sure think it would be awesome if America would turn back to God and would say (as a whole nation, with pride) ONE NATIONS UNDER GOD. Why? Well, there is the obvious benefit of God's blessings and protection. But I'm being a little less heavenly-minded I guess. I would like to see America united as one nation under God so we could say to these terrorists, "Your god wanna pick a fight with our God? OK, let's rumble!"

Of course we would have to make a LOT of changes as a nation in order for this to happen, and my "cool scenario" could not be our motivation for doing so....but it would be cool, wouldn't it? I'm not talking about destroying another nation being cool, but I am talking about being able to live like Israel did (at times) in the Old Testament where they could sit back and watch God fight for them because they were God's people. How cool would it be to have America say, "We choose (to live for, obey and run our country like) the God of the Bible"? Hmmm...I guess this would be easier to accomplish if the Church would do it first, huh.

II Chronicles 20:17 (NET Bible)
"You need not fight in this battle; station yourselves, stand and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out to face them, for the Lord is with you."

But what made me think about this, again, today was reading Isaiah 46. It is a little more accurate picture of where America is with God today. Sure would be some good advice to follow as a nation.

Isaiah 46 (NLT)
The idols of Babylon, Bel and Nebo, are being hauled away on ox carts. But look! The beasts are staggering under the weight!
Both the idols and the ones carrying them are bowed down. The gods cannot protect the people, and the people cannot protect the gods. They go off into captivity together.

"Listen to me, all you who are left in Israel. I created you and have cared for you since before you were born. I will be your God throughout your lifetime--until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you.

"To whom will you compare me? Who is my equal? Some people pour out their silver and gold and hire a craftsman to make a god from it. Then they bow down and worship it! They carry it around on their shoulders, and when they set it down, it stays there. It cannot even move! And when someone prays to it, there is no answer. It has no power to get anyone out of trouble.

"Do not forget this, you guilty ones. And do not forget the things I have done throughout history. For I am God--I alone! I am God, and there is no one else like me. Only I can tell you what is going to happen even before it happens. Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish. I will call a swift bird of prey from the east--a leader from a distant land who will come and do my bidding. I have said I would do it, and I will. Listen to me, you stubborn, evil people! For I am ready to set things right, not in the distant future, but right now! I am ready to save Jerusalem and give my glory to Israel.

- Rob

No comments: