Sunday, June 25, 2006

It's Been a While...

...since I've posted a geocaching story, so I'm gonna share one. It all started this past Friday when we were cleaning up from Vacation Bible School on the church playground. As we walked out the gate of the chain link fence that surrounds the playground, Amanda pulled the cap off of one of the metal gate posts. "Look Daddy, this would be a good place to hide a cache." I agreed that it would.

So fast forward to Saturday. Amanda has a friend spend the night and tells her friend about
geocaching. Since her friend also likes being outside, they asked me to take them geocaching. (Now just STOP right there. Yes, THEY asked ME to go geocaching...it was not the other way around). Of course, being a good father, I could not deny this this 'educational opportunity' and so we headed out to do a couple tame caches.


The first cache we did was at a part, and it was a multi-leg cache. We followed the original coordinates to a sign and used the numbers from the sign to solve a simple puzzle to get the coordinates for the second leg. The second leg was a mico (i.e. small) cahce hidden in a tree. We found it right next to the wasps flying in and out of a hole in the tree! We opened up the cache container and the girls read me the coordinates the third and final leg of the cache. I loaded them into the GPS and off we headed. We travelled about 700 feet and the GPS unit said we were
supposed to be at the location of the cache. I saw the horse shoe pits but saw no place where a cache could be hidden. I was about to decide that there must have been some sort of miscommunication between the girls and myself entering the coordinates into the GPS when Amanda walked straight up to the chain link fence around the horse shoe pits, pulled the top off of a metal post and said "Found it!". I could not help but laugh...somebody had the same idea for hiding a cache that Amanda had come up with on her own the day before. I tell ya, the kid's a natural. Makes a father's heart proud!

The fence-post cache

Teamwork!

Amanda's friend, on her first geocaching outing, was the first to
spot this cache (it was hidden before we took it out for a picture)

No comments: