Sunday, May 21, 2006

Thanks For Sticking With Me

Goodness, please don't tell Dawn that the "Blog Cop" has not posted since last weekend! Now that school is out, maybe I'll have time to blog during the week. I was just telling my Mom this weekend that things seem busy now that Amanda has homework all the time: come home from work, eat dinner (thank you, Brookie!), do homework (while Brooke takes care of the dishes), do something for 30 minutes and then help Amanda get a bath. After that, while some might think this would be a good time to get some work done, Amadna thinks it is the ideal play time. After all, in a seven year old's mind, doing homework and helping her wash her hair, etc doesn't really count as "Daddy/Amanda time". So after we play games, hop into bed, talk and pray it is 9pm. Don't know about you, but I don't get much accomplished after 9pm when I've worked all day.


But anyway...about our week. Since school is almost out, it's the time of the year for school awards. We were proud of Amanda as she received a perfect attendace award this year (thank you Jesus for a healthy year) and a reading award. We were especially proud of the reading award after she started off the year behind where she needed to be. Here's a picture of Amanda with one of her friends after the awards ceremony.


It was another great weekend. Brooke and I planned a 'motorcycle date night' for Friday night, so we were excited for the weekend to get here. We've got some friends who let us borrow their motorcycle for special date nights, and we enjoyed ourselves again this weekend. But since I picked up the motorcycle on Thursday night, Amanda wanted a ride to and from school on Friday. Getting dropped off was OK, but what she really wanted was to be picked up in front of her whole class on Friday afternoon. When I picked her up, her swollen head would hardly fit in the helmet and she waved at everybody on campus like she was queen of a parade. Here's a picture of her when we got home.

Friday night, we took Amanda to Ge-Ma & PaPa D's. She had a great time and so did Brooke and I on our date night. We went out to eat and then to see Da Vinci Code in preparation for our church's Da Vinci Code discussion groups. After that, we went for a late night motorcycle ride and stopped at IHOP for a brownine sundae we did not need but certainly enjoyed.

Saturday morning, I went to our church's men's breakfast while Brooke went to the Young Marrieds' cooking class. In the afternoon, I headed to Ft. Worth with my Mom because she wanted to try out for Wheel of Fortune. It was a great time spending time with my Mom, but here's the short version of our hilarioius afternoon: drive to Ft. Worth and then drive all over downtown trying to find a parking place, drop Mom off to get in line and drive all over some more looking for a parking place, realize Mom has all the cash so now I am going to have to find a FREE parking space, find parking space, find Mom in line, wait in line for 2.5 hours with Mom, sit in on audtion group and not have our names called to get on stage, leave and look for car (oops, that message I left on my cell phone to remind me where I parked did not record for some reason), leave Mom at corner to walk further to get car, find car, drive back to pick up Mom and forget what street I left her on! But after I found her again and picked her up, the evening went smoother. She took me out to Olive Garden and we had a nice dinner together. Still conceivable Mom could get a call for a second try at an audtion, but statistically not very likely. Long wait but a good time to spend with Mom.


Sunday, went to church as usual and had a good service. Brooke washed cars with the team preparing to go to Nicaragua for a week this summer. After church, Amanda and I hit seven geocaches together. Here is our picture for the week. This evening, Brooke went to her Da Vinci Code discussion group (which she said was very good) while Amanda and I took the back roads on the motorcycle to visit Ge-Ma and PaPa D in Duncanville.

So Jason, this was as brief as I could be when I had to cover the highlights of the whole weekend. Thanks for sticking with me! (My friend Jason is a very busy man and prefers the shorter blog posts but he assures me he reads my posts even when they are 'near book length'). And since I'm picking on Jason, I gotta give a link to a great web site called TrueLife.org he has done the video for and is helping get off the ground. I could tell you more about it, but they can share their vision better than I can AND Jason wouldn't want this post to be any longer!

- Rob

1 comment:

Jason said...

Thanks for the plug, Rob! Oh and yes, I read the whole thing! I guess I have more time now to read and write more blogs.