Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Everyone Needs a Motorcycle

As I shared earlier, some friends from church let us borrow their motorcycle for the weekend and then said "keep it"...for an extra couple days. By the way, their motorcycle is the big Harley shown in previous posts...not this one. This is just a picture I found on the Internet, but it's a bike with a look similar to what I would like to have.

Yes, I would like to have a motorcycle. I used to have one, but when it was time for Amanda to be born, it was also time for a number of motorcycle repairs, so the bike had to go. I've kept my license current believing that I will have one again someday.

But I believe everyone should should have a motorcycle. Why? Because when you have a motorcyle, it makes you relax. I thought about this while riding home from the Maverick Club (where I play racquetball) today. I took a side street that had a nice winding road with trees lining both sides. It was not as fast nor as direct as taking the highway home, but I went that way just because of the scenery. On Sunday night, Amanda and I took the long way around and went to visit my parents just because we wanted to go ride. We rarely drive to Duncanville 'just for a visit', and we would never take the back roads because they are slower. But Sunday night, because we had a motorcycle, we took time to enjoy the scenery, find a road we did not know existed and went to visit my parents for a few minutes 'just because'. Before we took the bike back today, Brooke and I took a short ride just to be together. Having a motorcycle helps you relax and do something just for the enjoyment of it instead of being a slave to time and schedules.

OK, maybe "everyone" doesn't need a motorcycle. Maybe the second person "you" in the previous paragraph should have read "I" as in "Rob". Yes, I need a motorcycle. Maybe one day.

- Rob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can have whatever you want if it makes you relax! Love you!