Friday, May 26, 2006

Remembering to Remember

Like everybody else, I'm a busy person. Of the time management books I've read, I liked Stephen Covey's First Things First the best. The basic premise...don't be ruled by the clock, rule your life by the compass. Figure out what is most important and do that first.

I guess the logic behind this has always made sense to me. I remember being in college (before I read this book) and walking down the hall late one night my senior year studying for a test. I was walking the hall with a textbook in my hand because that was the only way I could stay awake! At the end of the hall was a HUGE window looking out over the campus. Each time I came to that window (before turning and walking to the other end of the hall) I thought about how miserable and absolutely happy I was at the same time. I was miserable because I wanted sleep so badly, but I was happy because I was having the time of my life. At the age of what...21?...I made my first decision to REMEMBER TO REMEMBER.

I had a wonderful college experience: a great school, staff and friends, wonderful church, best friend roommate, experiencing "life on my own" while Mom and Dad were still paying for school and most of my living expenses. I had heard people talking about college being some of the best years of their life, and I figured I was having a pretty good time. So I made mental notes that night and decided to remember that night (and my whole college experience) not so I could live in the past sometime later, but so I could appreciate how good I had it at the time. I remember the green carpet on the floor (laid on cement without padding), the too many coats of 'white' paint on the walls, the vaulted ceilings, the HUGE picture window at the ends of the hall, the steam heaters that creaked ever-so-loudly when turned on at the base of the windows, the stars I could see looking out the window and the jogging shorts I was wearing at the time (side note: when I see pictures of me in those shorts now I realize I NEVER should have worn them out in public...what was I thinking!?).

What made me think about all this is an experience I had last week that made me think about the second time I made an effort to remember to remember. Two of the students I had in youth ministry are getting married soon and I was walking through the wedding ceremony with them in the sanctuary. As we talked about the unity candle, I thought back to when Brooke and I lit our unity candle. We lit the candle and Scott Wesley Brown's song "This is the Day" was playing. I was looking at Brooke in her wedding dress, glowing, her hair done up extra special, smiling...the sanctuary, our friends and family there. Brooke kept talking to me and I finally said "Shhhh". She didn't get it at the time, but I was remembering to remember. I was taking a mental picture that I will remember forever of the day I pledged my life to my wife. I don't want to return to the past, but I'll never forget that moment of that day...it was beautiful.

I remember the day Amanda was born, but my 'remember to remember' moment with her as a baby was one night sitting in the rocker in her room. I sat in the recliner/rocker having just fed and burped her, laying her on my chest getting her to go to sleep. That one night, I sat there with tears streaming down my face while I thanked God for the precious, precious gift laying on my chest. I thought about the days coming too soon when she would have her 'own life' and there would not be enough time for Dad (not as much time as I would like). I knew I would never have those precious moments again and I decided to remember to remember.

The fourth, and most recent, remembering moment happened this school year. Each day, Brooke and/or I walk Amanda Kay to school (weather permitting). Just a couple months ago Amanda and I were running late. I was walking her to school and had a ton of things I needed to do at work. I walked her to the crossing guard and then let her walk up the hill, across the parking lot and to the school door by herself. On the way home, I remembered to remember. I thought, "How many more days is Amanda going to want her Daddy to walk her to school holding her hand?" In that moment, all of things I had to do didn't seem nearly so important. Amanda had seen a friend that day and certainly didn't mind walking the rest of the way to school with her friend, but I caught myself. Walking hand-in-hand with your little girl to school (when she wants to) will not last forever. I decided to remember the walks to school. Yes, it makes me a little later getting to work and yes, Amanda talks non-stop about the least important things sometimes...but we're spending quality Daddy/Amanda time so who cares!?

Heavenly Father, help me remember to remember these special moments in life and not waste them! Thank you for them.

- Rob

No comments: