Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I Spent My Day Off on the Toilet

Actually, it was two toilets. Well, first it was one, then it was two...I guess one wasn't enough?

Are you curious or disgusted now? You needn't be disgusted, let me explain. I had three vacation days left for the year, so I thought I'd take Mon-Wed off this week (since I have Thursday off for Thanksgiving and Friday is my normal day off). My plans were to kick back and read (currently reading The Resurrection File, a novel) and do some work on the church web page that I have been trying to get done for over a month but cannot find time to complete. The whole "toilet incident" started on Sunday when a lady at church told me one of the toilets in the women's restroom was not working properly (fortunately it was not plugged up or anything nasty). I figured we could go one week with one less toilet in the women's' restroom (I could not fix it on Sunday), so I printed an "Out of Order" sign to place on it for the week. That was Sunday. On Monday afternoon, I get a call saying one of the two remaining toilets is now running non-stop. I went to check it out, and sure enough, the report was correct. I did not have time to go to the hardware store that night, so I made my second "Out of Order" sign.

On Tuesday, our church secretary called and asked if we were going to have just one of three toilets working or if we were going to call somebody to come fix them. Of course we were not going to call anybody to fix them...that's part of my job. Knowing that we could not let Sunday roll around with two "Out of Order" signs up, I went in Tuesday morning to fix the problems. I'm spare you the details, but a couple hours later I had both toilets fixed. Some of that time was running back and forth to the hardware store, but one toilet did have three separate problems. Now those of you who do not know me are saying "How difficult could this be?", but those who know me are saying, "Wow! You fixed something? Two somethings? And they are working now...no water flooding the restroom or anything? Great job!" All I can say is "I'm a more handy man today than I was yesterday" and "I spent my day off on the toilet."

- Rob

No comments: