Saturday, April 14, 2007

Two Books In Two Days

This is some sort of record for me, "Mr. Slow Reader". I defend my slow reading by telling people I have a high comprehension level (that's what they measured in school, right?). Actually, I've tried to read faster. I've even tried those speed reading computer programs, but I just don't enjoy reading when I feel rushed. So I read slowing, but enjoy what I am reading.

Anyway, I finished two books in two days. Actually, the first book, We Die Alone by David Howard, took me a couple weeks to read but I finished it last night. So then I started The Ultimate Gift by Jim Stovall and finished it today. But still...in two days I "finished" two books.

We Die Alone is a story about a Norwegian soldier named Jan Baalsrud who was trying to help set up resistance to the Nazis during WWII in northern Norway. His team of 12 was sold out and he was the sole survivor. And "survivor" is the best way to describe his story. For two-and-a-half months he faced freezing temperatures, front bite, gangrene, snow-blindness and much more in an effort to get to Sweden. He doesn't talk about God seeing him through his ordeal, but it is nothing short of a miracle. The story details how {literally} hundreds of people were involved in helping him to safety. He would have been a dead man many times over had it not been for all the people who, at great personal risk helped him. My friend George told me he thought I might like it, and he was right.

The Ultimate Gift is a book we received in the mail from Fox Faith Movies. After The Passion of the Christ, somebody realized there was a market for family, Christian-value movies. The Ultimate Gift is one of the books Fox Faith Movies has made into a film. I don't think it is a movie I would buy to watch again and again, but I would definitely pay to see it at the theater or rent the DVD. It is a story about a rich oil tycoon who died and wants to teach his great nephew lessons about life. There are 12, one month "lessons" the the nephew must learn. If he passes each "test", then he will receive the ultimate gift. It was an easy read, enjoyable and made me think about what is important in life. I enjoyed it.

So now I'm debating on whether to travel to Duncanville tomorrow to borrow a couple WWII books from my Dad or head to the library on Monday. If I go to the library, I will be looking for a book from my favorite author, Patrick Robinson, who writes Navy novels (SEALs, submariens, aircraft carriers, etc) or perhaps another medical thriller by Peter Clement.

No comments: