Friday, April 06, 2007

A Shout Out to Brian

A friend of mine sent me this article thinking I might be interested in posting it to my blog.

I was...and I am.

The article, Collins: Why this scientist believes in God is interesting to me for several reasons. First of all, I get so sick and tired of debating the existence of God with people who try to hide behind "science". Here is a guy who can "out science" most...and he believes in God.

It also interests me because I often think, after having a debate with an Atheist (most recently, the Humanist variety), "I wonder if they can really believe that when they are all alone with just their thoughts lying in bed at night?" Dr. Collins said it was questions as to the meaning of life and death that caused him to study further and ultimately encounter God.

I like what Dr. Collins said about the role of faith: But reason alone cannot prove the existence of God. Faith is reason plus revelation, and the revelation part requires one to think with the spirit as well as with the mind. You have to hear the music, not just read the notes on the page. Ultimately, a leap of faith is required. If this fact is not clear enough in Scripture, just try debating with an Atheist for any period of time and you will experience this truth for yourself.


Just for the record, I do not agree with Dr. Collins ideas about God and evolution. I believe the two are mutually exclusive. Although I believe creation is an extremely important teaching of Scripture, Scripture also teaches this is not the question that will get us in or keep us out of heaven. It's all about Jesus and who we say that He is. Dr. Collins and I agree on that one.

And you cannot read the article without reading the comments at the end. If you've never debated with an Atheist before, the comments at the end will give you a taste of what you'll encounter.

Thanks, Brian. An interesting read and great blogging material.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heck, I was surprised to see the article on CNN's web site. But I guess that explains most of the opposing comments.

Brian