Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Something With a Steering Wheel, Please

In this picture, let the Indy car represent the new computers that have 2 gigs of memory. Let Snoopy represent my parents' (in-laws') Windows 98 computer with 64 megs of RAM. Last time we were home, I helped them upgrade to DSL, but when I came home this time they complained they were not getting their money's worth on the Internet upgrade. Mom would open a web page, go iron a blouse, come back to the computer and wait some more for a page to load. Sounds more like dial up than DSL, doesn't it? I told them it was not the DSL's fault (I'm using it on my laptop and am in surfer's heaven), rather it was the SEVERE memory problem in their computer. They were getting the information from the Internet quickly enough, but the computer could not process it. I checked, and they had about 55 megs of RAM to work with! So, after upgrading them to 512 megs of RAM today, I certainly have not put them in an Indy car, but at least they are in something with a steering wheel now that will go 0 to 60 in about 12 seconds.

- Rob

1 comment:

Jason said...

Man, I am glad you got that world map on your blog now because we can see who is reading it! Do you realize that you have some Canadians reading your blog? What is the world coming to? (For the canadians reading this, I have nothing against you I just thought I would write something random on Rob's blog)
:)