Monday, July 10, 2006

It's Not All About Money

I get a bit frustrated with some preachers today who equate Biblical prosperity strictly (or even mostly) with money. I believe that a blessed life is far more than money, and if money is so important to an individual that this all he/she can preach about (or the only sermons a person listens to)...that almost seems like making money an idol to me.

But what does that have to do with this picture of Sully chillin' in his favorite spot on the couch? The picture is an example of God's (non-monetary) blessing in my life.

The other night, I made a late evening run to 7-Eleven to fill my giant mug with Diet Coke. I took Boo and Sully with me because they like to be 'adventure dogs'. When I got there, Boo sat up on the seat over my left shoulder, so I was talking to her as I got out of the car. I went inside, filled up my mug and came back to the car. When I opened the door, there was Boo, but no Sully. At first I figured he was on the floor behind the seats, but a quick check showed that was not the case. As panic sat in, I went to the side of the store where there was a wooded area and hollered for him, but nothing happened. Trying to figure out if he somehow got out of the car or if somebody had taken him (why would they take just him and not Boo, too?), I opened the car door and looked inside again. By this time I was in emergency prayer mode and had to stop to try and figure out what might have happened and what I should do next.

At that moment, some people came out of the store and turned to the right (opposite the wooded side I had checked). As I watched them walk in front of the store, I saw Sully walking in the opposite direction, back toward the car. I immediately grabbed him, hugged him and took both dogs back home. On the way home, the knot in my stomach only grew as I thought about what could have happened.

I've got friends who would say I was lucky. But when I panicked, I cried out to the God of Heaven and not the god of fate, so they can thank they lucky stars but I'll think my Heavenly Father. I believe I have a Father in heaven who loves me, and I believe He loves me enough to watch over my dog when I was too careless and he was not smart enough to stay in the car. That night, my blessing was not about money...and it was WAY better.

- Rob

1 comment:

hunt4christ said...

It is amazing how our dogs can and have increased our faith. I have found that God has used my dogs to help me be a better person. Rob we love sully and boo too. Miss ya,