Thursday, March 09, 2006

This is Why I Blog

I was harrassing a blogging family I know because they have not had a new post in while (Brad, Dawn and Laura). So I get up this morning, and Dawn has posted to her blog:

(Titled "Because Rob Bullied Me" with a :
-D next to it)
This is for my friend Rob who said I should include boring stuff about my life in my blog and not just wait around for something profound...so this is for you my friend...yep, it is one of things a friend passed on email. (you can read the whole thing here).

So, since I was called out by name, I had to come back with a response. I tried to be a little humorous, but I really just put into writing why I blog. When I got done, I thought, goodness, that sounded more like a blog posting than a comment. So here is what I said:

Since this is some of the same type "boring" stuff I put on my blog, I hope your other friends don't think this is boring either. Now I know stuff about you that I did not know before. To me, that's not boring, that's getting to know your friends better.


Different people blog for different reasons. My blog is just about my life...sometimes boring, sometimes sharing more about me, maybe even something profound every once-in-a-while (maybe?). I write for me ('cause I like to write) and for my friends/family who would care about the 'boring,' everyday stuff that happens in my life (or who would likely laugh at the same stuff I laugh at).

I've got pastor friends who write pastoral blogs or who are making an effort to change culture through what they write, friends who only write about out of the ordinary, 'interesting' things in their lives and friends who only write when they learn something from an experience they had. All of these are fine...I was merely observing that people like me who write 'boring' things about everyday life have more to blog about.

By golly, look at me. I should have put all of this on MY blog! :+)

Thank you for sharing 'boring' stuff that lets me get to know you better.

So for those of you who wonder, this is why I blog.

- Rob



2 comments:

David said...

Remind me not to mention your name in anything I write. ;>) lol

your friend
Pastor

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

Rob, I hope I did not offend you by using your name...if so I will fix that!

The thing is I dont find YOUR blog boring at all! I enjoy reading about your family's GeoCaching Adventures with Amanda!

One of these days we really are going to tag along...one of these days! LOL!

Time permitting...LOL!!

Dawn