Friday, March 17, 2006

Mild, But a Panic Nonetheless

While we've been in Alabama visiting Brooke's family, her Mom and Dad decided to upgrade to DSL Internet (YEA!). Not being particularly "computer inclined", they asked me to set it up while we're home, so I called the phone company on Saturday, got the order rolling and waited to receive the modem and setup disc. The stuff from the phone company came on Tuesday, so I've got them online, download virus and spyware protection for them and have updated Windows online. Oh, did I mention they are running Windows 98 with just 64 megs or RAM? So, I've downloaded a more efficient disk defragmenter, run msconfig and shut down any programs that do not need to run at startup and downloaded/updated/scanned everything I could to try and keep the computer from running so slow and locking up. Now that they have DSL, content is downloaded to their computer faster than the computer can process it!

So the panic came just a little bit ago. I've got some old computer memory laying around back home, so I thought I'd check what kind of memory this computer uses and maybe I could mail them some additional memory and let my sister-in-law's husband install it for them. I got the computer open, pulled out the RAM, checked it and put it back in the computer. Those of you who are a little quicker than the average person may already have guessed what happened when I rebooted the computer...NOTHING.

So here I am, having spent numerous hours installing DSL, getting the most out of their computer, etc and now it goes down...13 hours before we plan to leave. Of course I panicked! I shut the computer back down, unplugged it and opened it up. Fortunately I just had not snapped the memory into place properly. Once that was fixed we were back in business. I'm just glad it was that simple. It was mild, but a panic nonetheless.

- Rob

No comments: