Saturday, March 11, 2006

From Trauma to Victory

Our "day" started at 7:00am on Friday. For the first time since she has started school, Amanda was up before the alarm clock went off. She knew her friend Rosanne was having a birthday party Friday night and then we would be heading to Alabama. Amanda went to the party, Brooke and I took the doggies to Duncanville (my parents are keeping them for us), we picked up Amanda and then I slept for an hour and a half while Brooke and Amanda watch a movie.

At Midnight, it was time to hit the road. Amanda and Brooke slept while I rotated listening to Nimitz Class (book on CD) by Patrick Robinson and loud music (on the Dell DJ) to keep me awake. I made it until 5:15am at which time I pulled over to a roadside park for a half hour nap. About 30 minutes later we were in Vicksburg, Mississippi which is the half way point of the trip. We gassed up, Brooke took over the driving and I got another hour or so of sleep.

We arrived in Decatur just in time for lunch. Brooke and Amanda went with Mom and cousin Hannah to see MaMa Gin (Brooke's grandmother) while Dad, my nephew David and I played some Texas Hold 'Em (Alabama style). David and I also did some prep work on the Internet for tomorrow when David, Hannah, Amanda and I will do some geocaching.

But the real "excitement" began after dinner...Amanda had a loose tooth. If you have followed this blog, you know that the last loose tooth was quite an "experience" and Amanda (aka "Drama Queen") wanted to make sure this one was no different. And it was no different. 40 minutes and several screams after the ordeal began, Brooke sat her down and yanked the tooth out! As soon as the tears were dry, Amanda was parading around showing everybody what a great thing "she" did...from trauma to victory in a matter of moments.

So Spring Break 2006 has began. Who knows what excitement tomorrow holds.

- Rob

No comments: