Monday, May 09, 2005

Book I'm Reading

I really enjoy reading. I was going to say "I love reading", but I don't think I do it enough to say that. But since I've switched jobs and don't bring so much work home, I've been reading more.

Right now, I'm about 2/3 the way through "The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw. It is a number of short biographies about people who fought in or lived through WWII. I wish I could describe what I feel as I read about these incredible people. I think I agree with Tom Brokaw this time (that feels odd)...they were truly the greatest generation. When I read what they gave for this country...sometimes I tear up and frequently I find myself saying "thank you, God, for these men and women."

There's so many stories to share...there's no since in my trying to rewrite the book. But I just finished a section about black servicemen during the war and the prejudice they had to endure. Here they were, volunteering to fight, willing to give their lives for their country, and they were treated so horribly. A couple men recounted being stationed in Ft. Hood, TX where German and Italian POWs were kept. At times, the prisoners were allowed into the base PX but the black servicemen were not! When I read this part, I found myself saying "forgive us, God." It has made me want to rent the movie "Tuskegee Airmen" and find some other books to read their story.

The one thing that keeps going through my mind as I read this book...what would happen if we had a war like that today? Thank God for those serving (and dying) in the battle against terrorism. But I just can't help but think that things would be different today if our whole country had to sacrifice like everyone did back in WWII. The soldiers, the wives who had children who never saw their father, the parents sending their young men off to die, those who worked the long hours in the factories, gas rationing...the list goes on and on. I think Mr. Brokaw got it right...they were the greatest generation.

- Rob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After reading this I had to comment. Mostly my grandparents raised me and they had grown up during the great depression era. They also serve in the military during ww2 and I love the fact that I had the time to get to know them the way I did because they enriched my life more than anyone else in my life.
When I preached last July 4th I preached about the story of the 73rd ranger battalion that landed on Pointe De Hoc because of the adversity that they had to endure and the sacrifice that had to happen to secure victory. That is why I am so proud of my military service and the fact that I have lived through it. When I go to the veterans hospital I have a chance to fellowship with a generation that I admire and since I am a war vet they give me the respect and the feeling like I belonged to something so much bigger than me.

When Jesus looked at the centurian he knew that he was a man who respected authority. The Holy Spirit sent Peter to Corneilus's house and even at the Cross a soldier even recognized that Jesus was the Son of God. Let us look at the sacrifice that they made to secure the freedom so rest of the world could live in a free world and say THANK YOU!!!! As the Lord would say "Well done my good and faithful servants."