Thursday, April 07, 2005

Today a Dead Bolt, Tomorrow...

OK, most people reading this are going to say "You've got to be kidding. What is so exciting about installing a dead bolt lock?" To be honest, it wasn't all that exciting other than the fact it was the first time I've done it. You see, at our church, the administrative pastor (that's me) has to oversee maintenance issues. Pastor said the church secretary’s doors (yes, TWO of them) needed dead bolt locks today, so I had a job to do. I called a guy from the church and asked him to help me put them in, and he said "sure". Now, I know the job is not too difficult, but all I could think was, "What if I cut that big hole and it's in the wrong place. I'll ruin a door if I mess up!"

So before this guy came to help, I headed to the hardware store to pick up a hold saw to cut the hole for the lock. While I was there, I found this "kit"
(similar to this) that made it look like an idiot-proof job. When I shared with our secretary that the clamp made the job look idiot-proof, she "encouraged" me by asking, "What if the job is idiot-proof and you still mess up?" Anyway, the kit was a clamp that clamped onto the door and showed you where to drill the hole for key part of the lock on the side of the door, and showed you where to drill the hole on the end of the door for the lock part to slide in and out. It worked great! I had never really used a chisel for anything useful before, but I chiseled out the spots for the plates (our sound/techie guy helped 'cause he was there) and it all came out good.

Like I said, no big deal, but for a not-so-handy guy, it was a small victory today.

-Rob

No comments: