Thursday, December 27, 2012

Enjoying Time With The Fam

CHRISTMAS PICTURES
12/25/12 - From left to right we have Brooke on the Android phone, Hannah on the iPod Touch, Amanda with her new FujiFilm camera and David on his new Android tablet.

12/25/12 - Now that I'm blogging again, I've got to get better at capturing the moment. Missed pictures of Christmas lunch with Brooke, Amanda, sister-in-love and husband Jill and David, nephew David, niece Hannah, mom-in-love Brenda and her pastor and his wife. Also missed capturing a picture of a surprisingly fun game of charades that popped up spontaneously.

12/26/12 - Jill had us over for dinner tonight. Again, forgot to snap a picture at dinner!

12/26/12 - Amanda and I at Jill and David's house this evening. I held the camera to take this picture...I'm not sure what I was staring at over there in the corner!

12/26/12 - Brooke and Amanda at Jill and David's house this evening.



THOUGHTS FROM MY DEVOTION TIME TODAY

Acts 24:24-25
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

24 After some days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, who was Jewish, he sent for Paul and listened to him on the subject of faith in Christ Jesus. 25 Now as he spoke about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix became afraid and replied, “Leave for now, but when I find time I’ll call for you.”


These couple verses grabbed my attention today and I wrote in the margin: Paul's message to Felix must not have been "God has a wonderful plan for your life." It made me think about the way I present the Gospel vs. the way it was presented in Acts. As Christians, we talk all the time about being saved...as in I am saved. But salvation is the result of confessing Jesus Christ as Lord. Got me to thinking maybe we should talk more about confessing Christ as Lord" than about confessing "I am saved". Salvation is God's gift to us because of His incomprehensible love for us, but when sharing the Gospel, shouldn't the emphasis be on the work of Christ and his coronation as King rather than the benefits of this decision? And to those who have already confessed Christ...is our life still confessing Christ TODAY to those who do not know Him?  Paul also said in Romans 10:9  If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. It seems he did believe in a call to salvation, but even there, the confession of Jesus as Lord is the emphasis. I believe I will be studying this more after the first of the year.


WHAT I'M READING
I am so very thankful for all the FREE Kindle books that are available for download. Maybe in another post I will address my seeming inability to quit filling up my Kindle with all these free books. If I were able to read a book a day, I believe I have enough free books on my Kindle to get me through 2013!

On Christmas, I downloaded The Complete Sherlock Holmes which is still free for the Kindle as of the writing of this post (12:05am on 12/27/12. If you go to get it, be sure to DOUBLE CHECK the price before downloading it. Kindle book prices, especially free, frequently change without warning.) It contains the four Sherlock Holmes novels and 56 short stories. I have started "A Study in Scarlet".


AMANDA'S BIRTHDAY THIS WEEK
Without permission, my "little girl" continues to grow up and will turn 14 in just a few days. We were at Academy today getting some accessories for her new compound bow when Amanda saw this comforter. Of course that was "the exact same one" she had been looking at. It was on sale and her current comforter is in need of replacement, so we got this for her today. How could it stay in the bag until we got home when there is a perfectly good bed in need of an "Amanda touch" at Grandma Brenda's?

No comments: