Saturday, July 19, 2008

Save a Forest...Shorten My Receipt!

What is up with the long receipts??? When I purchase something on my debit card, I fold up the receipt, stick it in my wallet, take it home and paper clip it with other receipts so that I can enter them into my computer checkbook. Some of these are so long my wallet doubles in size after I fold up the receipt and jam it in my wallet. Wal-Mart and Walgreens seem particularly guilty. I can usually fold their receipt in half and still see all the info I need to enter it into my checkbook (store name, date and total amount of sale). When we do "big shopping" at Wal-Mart this is not true, but if I get just a couple items, I get the extra long receipt.

When I have a complaint, I try to offer a solution. I have a suggestion in this case. Why doesn't somebody tell "Weird Al" Gore that he can save our planet simply by getting these companies (and others) to shorten their receipts? This will have a two-fold benefit: we can save trees AND Weird Al can support a cause that is actually backed by science and logic. Unfortunately will not be able to punish the "rich" to fill the government's coffers (oops, I mean to "save the poor") but he could go after "big business" and we all know that is a good thing, right?

No comments: