Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Steaks on the Grill and Other Stuff

Man, we ate right tonight. Somebody gave us some fresh, vacuum-packed meat that we thought was roast meat. Brooke thawed it out yesterday and unpacked it for the Crock Pot tonight. When she unpacked it, she told me the news...it wasn't roast, it was some good lookin' steak! So I fired up the grill tonight and we ate good for dinner. Brooke cooked some baked potatoes while I grilled the steak and it was wonderful!

So while the meat was cooking, Amanda was out playing. We looked in the turtle pen and saw that one of the turtles seemed to have been moving around because the dirt where he was buried was disturbed. We investigated more closely and saw that Grumpy O' Mally was trying to burying himself a bit deeper. We covered him back up with a rug to let him hibernate a bit longer. We were glad to see him moving around and discussed how we missed seeing the turtles.

Thinking about how I enjoy seeing the turtles when they are out (and listening to my wife harass me about this) made me think about the mundane things that I enjoy in life. Here's a few I thought of:
  • Seeing the turtles in their pen when I walk home from work
  • Letting Boo lick the water off my legs after I get out of the shower (who knows why she likes it so much, but she waits at the door just for this 'special privilege')
  • Giving Boo just a dab of toothpaste when I brush my teeth in the morning (she puts her feet up on the bathroom counter top waiting for this one)
  • Walking Amanda to school each morning (one day I was in a hurry and let her walk herself the remainder of the way once she got to the crossing guard...then I was upset with myself for the rest of the morning and haven't done that again)
  • Going to Quick Trip and filling my giant 52 ounce super-insulated mug with Diet Coke
  • Waking up in the morning, running to the restroom first thing but having to stop and check my e-mail (while I do a little dance) first
OK, I'll stop there. I'm sure Brooke will let me know how glad she is I shared that last bit of information with the world. But these are things that I think about, you know, the "little" things in life that help make it enjoyable. Like stakes on the grill and other stuff.

No comments: