Friday, October 20, 2006

No Thanks, We're Stupid

I'm a conservative Republican. If you are a fellow conservative, I don't know how I feel about this guy being our next presidential candidate, but I personally don't like it much. I've been thinking how I would vote if he were "our" candidate. I didn't much like the idea, but I was throwing it around nonetheless...should I not vote or vote for a 3rd party candidate just to make a statement to the Republican party "this is not who I want us to be"? But then I thought, "if a lot of us do this, a Democrat will end up in the White House and that (obviously) is not a good thing."

I choose to vote Republican because, as a party, they come closest to supporting issues that I believe in such as being pro-life, the privatization of Social Security, (I used to think) immigration, pro-marriage (meaning between a man and a woman...how did this even become a question?), tax cuts and a strong military.

If you believe what the media says (if you do, I'll tell you my story about meeting the tooth fairy), a number of conservatives are having this same thought regarding the November elections. I ran across an interesting editorial in the Washing Times regarding this issue. It's entitled, "No Thanks, We're Stupid". It helped me clear up my thinking. Here's just a portion of what the article said, but if you're a conservative wrestling with this issue, you ought to read the whole thing.

Here are some tell-tale signs of the sort of person who would vote (or not vote) to cause the election of a party which would act to defeat every value and interest he holds dear (merely because the party that will at least try to advance most of those issues has not done as well as he might have hoped):

1) When offered by a car dealer 25 percent off on a car, he insists on paying the full factory recommended retail sticker price -- because {he will not accept} 25 percent when he deserves 30 percent off.

2) When the prettiest cheerleader asks the nerd to take her to the prom, he turns her down -- just because he can.

3) When stopped for doing 70 in a 65 zone, he tells the trooper that's not possible because he had the cruise control set on 90 -- he just resents being falsely charged.

4) When diagnosed with a serious illness, he promptly cancels his medical insurance -- in order to save the cost of premium payments to help pay for the upcoming hospital stay.

A conservative would have to be just that stupid to stay home on Nov. 7.

(read the rest of the article)

No comments: