Sunday, March 20, 2022

Which sports teams were you a fan of as a child?

 From my Storyworth collection

This is kind of a funny question to answer. Both as a child as an adult, my “favorite” sports teams have pretty much been those of family. Ever since I can remember, my parents have been fans of the Dallas Cowboys, so much so that they call them by their first names when they yell at them on the TV! As a child, the Cowboys were my “favorite team”…I think I even had a pair of Dallas Cowboy pajamas at one point.

My family watched a lot of professional football, so growing up (in high school), I had a fairly decent a knowledge and players. Somewhere along the way, I chose the Washington Redskins as my favorite football team and actually had a Redskins sweatshirt. When I went to college outside of Chicago, I rooted for the Chicago Bears as well.

When I got to college, we did not have a TV in our room, and I was not a big fan of going down into the lounge to watch anything on the community TV. School and homework kept me busy, and I pretty much lost touch with who played for which team, etc. After that, I was never really a football fan again.

And then, in 1993 I met this crazy chick, fell in love and got married. This girl grew up playing softball and watched all kinds of sports (golf, baseball, college and pro football). Brooke is a HARD-CORE Alabama fan, so my college team of choice is, of course, Alabama. Besides wanting to support my wife, I have noticed that post game time around the house is MUCH happier when the Crimson Tide wins, so yet another reason to cheer for Alabama. The same goes for pro football. My wife was a 49ers fan when Joe Montana played there and then she converted to a Kansas City Chiefs fan (and has remained so to this day) when Montana moved there.

Brooke and I were grocery shopping today and this guy told me he liked my shirt. I bought myself this shirt I am not sure how many years ago, but it is still true today! I don’t care that much about sports, but I do LOVE my wife!

No comments: