Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fish Tank Update

Haven't blogged in a while, so I'm a little behind with the fish tank updates...and everything else.

Here's what I have in the tank so far:


Charlie, the upside down catfish hides in the cave ALL the time. I have seen him out in the morning twice not too long after I got him, and occasionally I can see him if I shine a light in the cave. I think it has been a week since I've seen him. The pet store said give him a week or two and he would be less bashful, but I don't think I'm gonna see him much. Kinda disappointing. {Just saw him come out while writing this}

The three mollies are a lot of fun. They are very active and seem to want to eat everything. They pick at the decorations in the tank and they eat on the algae wafer I drop in the tank for the snail and catfish each night.

The snail was named Houdini because he disappeared for a day and a half after we got him. He goes into the cave during the day and comes out at night now. He is VERY cool.


Amanda's fish got ich and we treated that with two different brands of medicine. From what I have been able to gather, ich is in all fish tanks but healthy fish can usually fight it off. If a fish gets stressed, they are more susceptible to ich. Amanda got 3 new fish and she did not have much in the way of plants or hiding places. Both of these (additional fish and lack of hiding places) can be stressors. In any case, all her fish seem to be doing better. Here is a picture her newly decorated tank.

Went to True Percula today to get water tested from my tank and was hoping to get some new fish. The ammonia level in my tank was a little high when I had it tested last week and they told me my tank was probably still cycling. Today, my ammonia and nitrate levels were only a little high. They said I could add fish today, but they recommended I wait and let the tank finish its cycle, so that's what I'm doing. This past week, it has gotten a bit more cloudy, too. The guy I talked to today said that was probably the bacteria in the tank growing to fight the ammonia. It is now "water borne" but should settle into the rocks and filter thus allowing my water to clear. Right now, it's just a waiting game. I don't like waiting...I want more fish!

No comments: