Friday, July 13, 2007

Two Thumbs Up for Evan Almighty

Just got back from seeing Evan Almighty. It took me a while to go see Bruce Almighty because I figured it would be sacrilegious. I'm not a big fan of Jim Carey in movies when he acts stupid, but Bruce Almighty was not as bad as I expected. It was an OK movie, but definitely not worth buying as far as I'm concerned.

Evan Almighty, on the other hand, will one day be in my video library. I'm not much a movie critic, but here's my review:

Thumbs down for:
  • "God" (Morgan Freeman) spouts New Age theology and "waters down" the message of the Genesis flood (no pun intended)
  • References to a certain species of duck and it's male anatomy
Thumbs up for:
  • A number of good messages
    • Good triumphs over evil
    • Value of family
    • Obeying God even when it is (MAJOR) difficult
    • One scene where God laughs when Evan talks about being "too busy" and having too much to do to build the ark
    • Having faith in God even when circumstances don't line up with what you heard God say
  • No cussing
  • I know I have NEVER laughed so hard during a movie
  • Even a scene to make you cry if you are prone to that sort of thing as I am

I give it an 8 out of 10, losing a point for "God's" erroneous "theology" and the unnecessary (2) animal anatomy references. Great movie to see on a family vacation. When the movie comes out on DVD, you can borrow it from me.

No comments: