Wednesday, October 20, 2010

One Of My Geocaches

I'm a geocacher. Short version...geocaching is a game where you hide a container (the geocache), mark it's coordinates with a GPS, post the coordinates online at geocaching.com and other people get the coordinates, use their GPS and find the geocache. Once they find it, they sign the little log inside the geocache and then log their find online. It's like a high tech treasure hunt.

When logging the cache online, it is proper etiquette to tell something about your hunt for the geocache. This is a log from a geocache I have hidden in the little park behind the shopping center where Hobby Lobby.

This one almost got me arrested. As I was walking back to my car, I hear "Mam,, Hault,,, Police" I froze as they were all running towards me and cars were coming at me. They wanted to know what was in my hand and I handed them my gps, wanted to know where I was pointed to my car, what was I doing there, told thm geocaching, and got the ususal What? Told them I would show them the cache, they surrounded me while we walked back to the cache. The minute I showed them they took it from me and I explained that you were supposed to sign the log but I forgot my pen so I made a green smudge on th paper to prove that I was there. He explained that they were in the middle of an investigation and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I apologized and he had the cache in his hand and said he would take care of it. Kind of doubt that he put it back, sorry.

No comments: