Friday, January 04, 2008

Here's the Headlines I'm Following

Along the right side of my blog, there's a section with the header "Here's the Headlines I'm Following." This section shows the last 5 stories/blog posts I have shared with Google Reader. I put it there because it gives a little insight into things that interest me or catch my attention.

Anyway, there is now link to an interview Rob Bell did with Relevant Magazine. I wanted to quote just one part of an answer he gave to the question, " By being innovative, you face critics. How do you deal with this?"

Thirdly, there are around a billion people in the world who don’t have drinking water, and 46 million Americans don’t have health care. That means if they get sick, they don’t have anywhere to go. Half of the world, 3 billion poeple live on less that two American dollars a day, so the world is an emergency. It’s on fire. It’s drowning. It’s an absolute crisis, and when followers of Jesus can think of nothing better to do with their time than to pick apart and shred to pieces the work of other followers of Jesus who are trying to do something about the world, that’s tragic, and I don’t owe those people anything.

The world is desperately in need of people who will break themselves open and pour themselves out for the reconciliation of all things. When a Christian can find nothing better to do with their time in the face of this much pain and heartbreak, you start realizing that some Christians need to be saved. How a person would have energy to take shots at other Christians is just mind-boggling. You have to be so totally disconnected from the pain of the world to think that blogging is somehow a redemptive use of your time.

I tried to link to the whole story, but the Relevant site was having a few difficulties when I posted this. You can go there and look around yourself if you wish. I just thought this was an insightful response.

No comments: