Sunday, April 29, 2007

"Christianity" With an Agenda

CHICAGO — Members of Trinity United Church of Christ squeezed into a downtown hotel ballroom in early March to celebrate the long service of their pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. One congregant stood out amid the flowers and finery: Senator Barack Obama, there to honor the man who led him from skeptic to self-described Christian.

Twenty years ago at Trinity, Mr. Obama, then a community organizer in poor Chicago neighborhoods, found the African-American community he had sought all his life, along with professional credibility as a community organizer and an education in how to inspire followers. He had sampled various faiths but adopted none until he met Mr. Wright, a dynamic pastor who preached Afrocentric theology, dabbled in radical politics and delivered music-and-profanity-spiked sermons.

Read more about Senator Barak's "Christianity" is this New York Times story, A Candidate, His Minister and the Search for Faith.

Would Jesus consider Christianity with an agenda true Christianity?

2 comments:

stephen said...

Rob after reading the article I am trying to find the link to the agenda you are referring to. Can you help me?

I would also add that I have met very few "Christians" (you know how I am not sure Jesus would even use that word) who don't have an agenda. For most it was the simple agenda of escaping hell. Very few come to Christ without expecting something in return.

I think if Obama (sp?) can love Christ and stand for the truth (as God reveals it to him) then he may indeed make for a great leader (of his state now or of the county later).

I must admit, some of his thought processes intrigues me. But then again, what do I know.

(Hey I love the new car BTW)

Hurts said...

I was referring to the pastor's agenda. Phrases like this disturbed me:

...Mr. Wright, a dynamic pastor who preached Afrocentric theology, dabbled in radical politics and delivered music-and-profanity-spiked sermons.

I think we all struggle with keeping our Gospel message from being ethnocentristic, but the idea of "Afrocentric theology" seems to purposely twist the Gospel to fit a personal agenda.